Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fiddling

"Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what? " says the Man in Black to Fezzik.
Joseph and I aren't fighting to the death but he is definitely "fiddling around with me."
Although, some days I feel like my brain might explode if he doesn't potty train soon so maybe it is a fight to the death! My death! Exploding brain death!

Whenever I bring up the P word he'll have NOTHING to do with it. But every now and again he'll come running into wherever I am and exclaim, "Poop is coming!" So in we go to the bathroom, sit him on the potty, one of the girls usually brings in entertainment (books and cars) and then wait.
He reads, plays, sometimes has juice, chats with his sisters but doesn't get around to actually putting something in the potty.
I know he can do it. The other day he was in the tub and exclaimed, "Poo is coming." I pulled him out of the tub and put him on his potty. A few minutes later . . . ta-da! Poo!
Maybe I'm ready but he's not.
Maybe its too fun with the books and cars.
Maybe I haven't found the right motivation yet.
But maybe, just maybe, he's playing me.
Am I being played?
I just can't decide!


"Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?" says the Man in Black
"I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed." replies Fezzik.
Okay, so he's only three. I'm certainly not embarrassed but I am most certainly frustrated.
Do I need to take a deep breath and just relax and let it happen?
Does that mean I'll send him to kindergarten in diapers?
"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH" (that's me screaming in tired frustration)

5 comments:

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

Parenting advice from someone totally unqualified to give parenting advice:

If I were in your position, and he doesn't poo, I might find a way to *scare* the poo out of him. Screaming clowns would prolly work.

Meggan said...

I am so sorry. If it's any consolation, potty training luke scares me to death. I am glad you are paving the way in boy pottying. Good luck!

brendaboston said...

You know what sweet cheeks? If he's not ready, who are you really training? Rather than go insane, I'd put him back in diapers and chill. So, he's three!!!! Just pray he'll be trained by five and kindergarten. I should think he'd get tired of sitting in poo, eventually. There are some things important enough to go insane over; this isn't one of them. You know I love ya. Mom
P.S. I know; I'm pragmatic.

The Hammonds said...

I HATE potty training. Willa fought me with it, and Andrew just couldn't get it. Both were over 3. Preschool is what finally did it for them. Once they started taking those group trips to the potty they finally *decided* to do it. Also, prizes were big. Andrew loved sticker charts, and Willa was motivated when her prizes got taken away when she had accidents. (I know, I'm a mean mom.) Bottom line don't stress too much, or it's only harder for you. Either way, he'll be fine. And try not to be envious of all those moms of two-year-olds in their cute underwear. Good luck!