Monday, November 2, 2009

My Dad's Fault

Friday night is Movie Night at our house. At the end of a long week of school, its nice to have the girls excited about something we do at home.
And do they ever get excited about Movie Night!
Usually I choose a movie (they would fuss for hours if I let them pick), let them pick dinner (within reason) and a treat (we make a special trip to the store).
This particular night was Halloween Eve and I was feeling especially lenient so they got two treats and Spooookiwi soda in little Frankenstein cans (btw, nasty stuff). I was declared the best mom ever (which is normal for movie night) and we watched Hocus Pocus (the best Halloween flick ever) on our bed (wins, hands down, over the couch every week).
I love our little tradition.
Its my dad's fault because a thousand million years ago my dad would have "junk food night" with us. We got to choose soda (which my mom never allowed), a TV dinner (this was the 80's folks) and Little Debbies. We'd get to eat in front of the TV (usually taboo) and watch a movie. My dad continues the tradition with the grand kids but we live too far.
So the tradition lives on at my house and I hope my kids will remember "Movie Night" as fondly as I remember "Junk Food Night".
And who doesn't like to be the "best mom ever" once a week?

4 comments:

Meggan said...

Love it Em! I think that a junk food night is a great tradition! Very awesome! Love ya'll.

Lindsay Blain said...

Hahaha. No WONDER been has always been a fan of Little Debbie! haha. They're best friends.
This is so cute! I love this tradition.

Cortney said...

What a great idea! I think I will have to steal that tradition since all we may ever eat at our house is vegetables. haha. I HAVE to have an excuse for chocolate regularly. haha. I miss you guys! I can't wait to see those sweet girls in December.

Dad said...

What's life with out a little junk food? Every kid should occasionally get to pick their favorite junk food and eat it in a place you usually can't! Call it living "dangerous!" May it ALWAYS be so much fun!!! Dad aka Papaw