Friday, March 20, 2009

It All Started One Day When . . .

It all started one day about three weeks ago when Ella broke out in hives. For the first few days I thought I'd figured out what was giving her the hives: new laundry soap, petting kittens at the pet store, etc. But when the hives came back day after day at different times and in different environments I was baffled and called her pediatrician. The hives looked like this but covered her whole body including her face. She was a pitiful, weepy site.

A quick trip to the pediatrician revealed that Ella had a viral infection (the kind that just has to run its course) that was manifesting itself on her skin. Very common apparently. Who knew?
That quick trip also revealed HUGE tonsils. Alarmingly huge tonsils, though no infection there. Thank heavens!
We were referred to an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) doctor who got us in within a few days. We met with him on Tuesday and . . .
Friday morning we were in an outpatient surgery center getting Ella's tonsils and adenoids out.
Ella was nervous the morning of but after Adam gave her a blessing she calmed right down and we had a pleasant morning, just the two of us. (Thank you Angie and Randy for having Grace and Joseph spend the night so I could focus on Ella that morning.)
Waiting in this first little room Ella got a "new cool bracelet", a grown up hospital gown, very fun no slip socks she got to take home, crayons, coloring book, a new doll and bright pink medicine that made her sleepy and very silly.
The anesthesiologist then wheeled her off in the special surgery wagon and I was escorted to a different little room to wait. Less than an hour later I was escorted to yet another little room where Ella was waking up. She looked so pitiful. Pitiful and strange. I didn't get a picture of it but she had a dollar bill taped to her forehead. Apparently she won a bet with the anesthesiologist.
Upon waking up a little more she asked for her new doll and said "Now I have ten dollars."
What a funny girl!
It took about an hour before Ella was ready to go home. The nurse put her in a wheelchair and wheeled her to the door while I went to get the car. And would you believe that I'd left the lights on that morning and the battery was dead? Believe it!
After more waiting and waiting, security came, gave us a jump and we were FINALLY on our way home. Ella slept nearly the whole rest of the day and that night.
She did awesome the first week until yesterday. See yesterday's post for details.
Miss Ella is doing wonderfully today. She even went to her best friend's house for some calm play time (yeah right). The whole experience hasn't been too bad (knock on wood). Once Ella learned that taking her pain medication wasn't optional (because it really hurts) its been smooth sailing. I am thankful we were able to get this done while she's off track and could take plenty of time to relax and recover.

6 comments:

KJA said...

it's so surreal when our children have to have surgery. Mitchel had surgery when he was one - he was so funny. i'm glad that Ella is doing well.

Boston Family said...

What a trooper. Thanks for the details. We had been wondering how she was recovering. We love you guys!

Denae said...

Poor, poor Ella. She looks so sweet & innocent. I don't like it when the little guys have to go through pain. Sorry about your car battery too. Bad, bad timing!

Sam said...

So that's what a virus can do to skin, huh? Weird... yet, very educational, thank you. Please also post a pic of your inexplicable blisters on your hands. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ella told me the morning of surgery that she was "afraid and not afraid, but mostly afraid!" I'm happy it went so well. I'm sure jumping your car was a thrill!

Courtney said...

Ah, Emily! What a wild ordeal you have been through :) Good thing you are such a rock and an amazing mom!