Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More Firsts for Our Kids

We were all excited about getting to go to the Draper Temple open house. The girls thought they were so big to get to go INSIDE the temple. Adam and I were excited for them to have this experience at such a young age. Joe was . . . less than thrilled.
The tour "begins" at one of the nearby meetinghouses. We watched a short video on temples featuring . . . the Draper Temple. Did you know that it will be the 129th operational temple and the 12th temple in Utah? Betcha didn't know. Aren't you glad you read this blog?
Then we waited just a few minutes in the gym for the bus to take us up the hill to the temple grounds.
My girls said the bus rides were the second best thing about getting to visit the temple.

Joseph, once again, less than thrilled.


And here, according to my girls, the best part of getting to visit the temple: getting a cookie at the reception afterwards.
Our girls seemed particularly impressed with the baptismal font on the back of the twelve oxen (they thought it was a hot tub) and all the stairs we got to climb. So in order of impressiveness
cookies
bus rides
oxen carrying hot tub
stairs
I love going to the temple. It was especially cool to be able to have my children with me and to watch their expressions and hear their honest comments.
I particularly loved the artwork in the temple. Lately, I've found myself paying particular attention to what hangs in the temples. The Draper Temple has several Minerva Teichert paintings that I love, love, LOVE! It was like a scavenger hunt for me, looking for the next Minerva Teichert around the corner.
I also loved that the shape of the pansy (you know, the little flower) was used quite a bit, especially on the ceiling of the celestial room.
If you are or will be anywhere near Salt Lake between now and March 14, take the time to go visit the temple. Until March 14th, ANYONE can go, member of the church or not. It is requested that you get a reservation but they certainly won't turn you away without one. They didn't even ask us for our tickets just welcomed us in.
If you have questions, go. The church representatives, missionaries and not, do not approach people in the temple or the reception afterwards. They wait to be spoken to.
Visit http://www.mormon.org/ to learn more.

3 comments:

Krissi said...

We went with the YW and YM last week the Draper Temple is beautiful. While the cookies were not first on my list they certainly made the list. What cute girls you have.

Boston Family said...

That is great that your kids got to go in, and cute what their favorite parts were. I hope Kate gets to go through an open house of some kind. It would be neat.

Krissi said...

It isn't hard but there are a lot of steps and you have to mess with HTML code. Give me a couple of days and I will post a how to on my blog. Your not the first person to ask.:) I will try to have it up by tomorrow.