We "celebrated" our anniversary last weekend with a short little run (Ogden Marathon, post coming soon) and a lovely night at a b & b. I love, love, love b & b's.
1. Three days before getting married we left SLC and drove straight through to his grandparents house in Kansas City, MO. We thought it would be fun to catch a Royals game but were so tired we only made it though six innings.
2. His grandma (GG to our kids) woke me up the next morning with a knock, knock on the door and a "Wake up, sleeping beauty." in her sweetest voice. We love GG and Pop.
1. We got married in St. Louis, MO. Missouri has a three day waiting period for marriage licenses. We didn't have three days to wait. We hit the first courthouse in western Missouri(Jackson Co.) and prayed some judge would give us a marriage license. Thankfully the first one did. Interestingly enough, Pop went with us to get our marriage license.
2. We'd allowed the whole day for the three hour drive from KC to STL just in case judges were being stingy with marriage licenses that day. We'd planned to hit every county courthouse until someone said yes. Since the first one said yes, we had time to kill so we drove up to Liberty, MO to the visitor center there. Very cool!
3. The day we got married I remember driving to the temple with my mom and dad. My dad commented that I was the coolest (not nervous) bride he's ever seen. He also reassured me that if I wanted to back out, I was welcome to. (My parents really do like Adam, promise.)
4. The photographer we'd planned on, who wasn't coming since she had a daughter in the hospital, ended up coming but forgot film in the rush to get there FROM THE HOSPITAL (the woman's a saint). Everyone scavenged their cars and purses and came up with six rolls of film. We both got sunburned while Janette took six rolls of gorgeous pictures. After we finished, she handed us the film, congratulated us and, I assume, returned to the hospital.
5. We then changed clothes and drove the five hours to Memphis where our reception was waiting for us at mom and dad's. The house looked gorgeous.
6. My brother, Ben, was away serving a mission in Canada when we got married. A guy owed my dad a favor and made a life size cardboard cut out of Ben. It was hilarious to have "Ben" standing in the corner and more hilarious to see people momentarily mistake it for the real Ben.
7. We parked the car in the garage and locked all doors leading to the garage. Only my immediate family knew how to get into the garage. My dad sold us out and our friends (Lance, Brent, Chrissy and Amy) worked a number on our car. In the process, Lance ruined the tie he was wearing (that's he'd borrowed from Adam, funny huh?) Adam was ticked when we found the chocolate syrup and Oreo mess but Jeff (trying to impress my sister) washed it for us so Adam wouldn't ruin his tux. Thanks Jeff!
8. We spent the night in Memphis at the Adam's Mark Hotel (which everyone thought was wildly funny.)
9. Then Sunday morning we drove down to the Gulf (at some point Adam woke up to me doing about 90 and flipped out) where we stayed for four days. When the people at the hotel found out we were newlyweds they comped the room for us. So sweet of them. We had a fabulous time. I love the Gulf!
10. My dad was sweet enough to give us his "TOTAL" gas card to pay for the gas to and from Gulf Port. There were a million TOTAL stations in Memphis in the last nineties and absolutely none between Memphis and Gulf Port. We didn't charge a dime to his card but it was the thought that counted. Thanks dad.
Thank you everyone for all the driving you did. No one got away with less than ten hours of driving while Adam's family drove over 60 hours that trip.
Thank you, Janette, for leaving your 12 year old in the hospital to take our wedding pictures. I love them so much.
Thank you to our friends Brent, Lance, Amy and Chrissy for making such long drives to our wedding. They all have their own funny stories to tell from that trip.
Thank you mom and Vickie for making bride's maid dresses and to my mom again, for making my wedding dress and veil. I love, love, love my wedding dress. And was so glad to share my veil with my sister when she got married last year. Can you feel the love?
These last ten years have gone incredibly fast and unbelievably slow. We've moved 11 times, lived in two countries, three states (with a child born in each) and nine cities. We both graduated from college and Adam is on his second career, both of which he has loved. We've driven cross country more in ten years than lots of people do in a life time. We love adventures and are willing to do something different to accomplish a goal. I am here to push and pull Adam outside himself while Adam reminds me to relax and have fun. We kiss in public and do our best not to settle into a married/parental routine. I am thankful to have so much more than a roommate and a co-parent. I have a best friend, a lover, a confidant, a sounding board, a therapist, an editor and a motivator. Man, did I get a great deal, or what?
If you read all the way through this you are truly a good friend (or just plain bored). Now go kiss your husband/wife just because and don't forget your own anniversary.
p.s. Did I mention that I got caught in the automatic sliding doors when leaving the temple? Oh, it was . . . totally not embarrassing! Not at all!

2 comments:
That was really fun to read.
Whew! I never heard the story about the marriage license. It was fun to read this. You guys are so cute.
Post a Comment