Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Austen

I finally did it. I read my first Jane Austen book. I finished it today.
And . . .
I loved it!
It took me a few chapters to get used to the language
but once I did, it was easy sailing.
But . . .
I'm pretty sure I didn't catch a lot because I just didn't know what a lot of the words meant but I'm just not going to read with a dictionary in the other hand. I'd never finish a book. I just move and get the jist from the rest of the sentence.
(Am I the only one that does this?)
So, I'm safe as long as I've seen the movie first.
p.s. Now that I can compare, the movie was very well done. It stayed true to the book. Now I want to see it again. I'm not sure I can talk Adam into that.
Fav quote, Edward said it,
"Shyness is only the effect of a sense of inferiority in some way or other. If I could persuade myself that my manners were perfectly easy and graceful, I should not be shy."

5 comments:

KJA said...

Love that book. I need to reread it!

Emily said...

I'm glad you liked it. I love Sense and Sensibility but I think it's one of the hardest Jane Austen books to read so it's smooth sailing from here. We need to have a movie night sometime soon.

Denae said...

Like the quote. I haven't read it, but you're motivating me too. Sadly my list is so long at the moment, it will be a while. So... you have 2 blogs!!!!?? What!!? How did I never know this!!?? It throws my whole balance off now!

Anonymous said...

Welp, you've got another one up on me, my sweet. I've started Sense and Sensibility twice and never got past the language. But you always were the smart one. I do love "days gone by" type books and movies. So romantic! Sure do love you. Mom

Christine said...

I'm impressed Emily! Good for you...reading the classics is something that I love doing with my kids, but I've never attempted such an advanced one. You inspire me. Love, Christine