Starting a zillion years ago my mammaw (Boston) started making these for her family.
Since she died in 2003, the Bob Boston branch of the family has gotten behind on red birds. I, Emily Christine, was named after my mammaw, Martha Christine, so I thought it only fitting that I should take up making red birds.
I made six redbirds this year to bring our family current, including new addition Nathan and newest edition, Luke!
Saturday night I carefully unwrapped my 30 year old redbird made with my sweet mammaw's smooth suntanned hands. I hung it next to Joseph's new litte redbird and thought lovingly of my mammaw and her Christmas tree she stored in the stand up shower year round and the cans of cheese balls we looked forward to getting every year as children. I thought of how mammaw would carefully unwrap her christmas gifts only to wrap them back up and place them back under the tree. She hated to see the tree looking "neckid".
I am proud to be a granddaughter and name-sake of Martha Christine Boston. I am thrilled to make little felt redbirds for every new addition to our family and I promise always to stuff them with holey nylons, just like mammaw did.
6 comments:
AWWW! Isn't Christmas the best time of the year. What a cool tradition and how awesome is it to carry it on while remembering someone important in your life.
Emily Christine, I love you.
That is awesome. I love traditions. It is so great getting to know you through your blog. You are so fun.
Emily, this is beautiful. You should seriously write. You have a beautiful way of wording things close to your heart.
Her gift to us lives on. She was a formidable woman. Dad
OUR GRANDMA SMILES DOWN AND LOVES WHAT YOU'RE DOING MISS EM. Thank you for keeping the birds alive, honey. She may never have had much money in this life but she had the sense to do and say things that live on forever. Make sure your children never forget either. Love you my sweet girl, Mom.
Post a Comment