Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Little Young

Tonight was the Relief Society broadcast that happens only once a year. Nearly without fail this ends up being my most rotten and yucky feeling day of the whole year. I am perfectly aware of why this is so I make a special effort to go. I may have lost some battles today but I won the war.
Adam picked up an extra shift tonight but thankfully a couple of girls in the ward were watching kids at a friend's house. Ella and Joseph were fine but Grace was curled up in a ball crying huge crocodile tears before I even started goodbyes. New place, several older-ish kids and sitters she'd never met were too much for Grace. So after explaining that mama's meeting was like Sacrament meeting, only longer, she still wanted to go with me.
We rode in Grandma's van to the church (always a treat), shared each others soup at dinner, got a piece of cake with a purple flower on it, a piece of pink gum and got to snuggle with mom as much as she wanted during the broadcast while not having to share the "sacrament meeting" toys with anyone. I just described Grace nirvana. I think she felt very special to get to do this big girl thing with me (and Grandma and Angie).
So the broadcast was wonderful. Elder Uchtdorf's english is getting very good and he's pretty funny. My favorite part, however, was the intermediate hymn. The chapel was packed with sisters all sitting next to each other like we were all best friends. We stood to sing and the sound that came from that group of women was so beautiful. Then off over my right shoulder I hear an older sister singing her heart out in her older sister kind of off key voice. I was instantly transported in my mind to sacrament meetings 20 years ago when my mammaw (Christine) would sing the hymns she loved to much in her off key older sister voice. I instantly missed her and was so thankful for her I cried. I am so thankful for the Gospel that binds us all together in a wonderfully giant family knot. Though I love and appreciate my sweet mom and sis-in-law I was missing my own mom and sister so much I ached. I knew they would be sitting in the stake center at home at that exact moment seeing exactly what I was seeing and missing me too. I am so thankful for the incredible women I have in my life. I have wonderful examples to pattern my life after and to help me on my way. I can only think that the Lord knew I would need help.
Thank you wonderful women in my life, here and gone. I love you all!

5 comments:

Audra said...

Emily, I was in the meeting with the 3 sisters and totally bawled thinking of you and Mammaw during that same hymn. I miss you like crazy! Love u

Courtney said...

It was an amazing conference, I agree! It is crazy how the Spirit can bind the hearts of all the women all over the world in that 1.5 hour conference. Loved it.

Krissi said...

It was a wonderful conference. Additionally, I have loved seeing all the testimonies of the women who went popping up on their blogs. It is wonderful to be able to share the feelings of that conference over and over. You have a very cute family.

Krissi said...

No, not a friend a cousin-n-law. Our husbands our cousins.:)

brendaboston said...

My sweet sweet girl. Yes, I was sitting with your sister and your daddy's 3 sisters and missing you like crazy. One day we will be together, all 3 of us sitting in the church pew. Your whole blog makes me so proud of you. You have grown to be the daughter I always wished you would be. A strong testimony of the gospel and a crazy love for your family. What more could a mom ask for? I love you with all my heart. Mom