Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ABJ - Another Brenda Junior

I've been working on some holiday sewing lately. Both my girls think it is terribly exciting and want to sew too. So Sunday afternoon they brought me some fabric scraps from a play set and wanted to sew them. I got each of them needle and thread and showed them a simple whip stitch. Grace sewed a ball (ie. wad of fabric all bunched up). Ella was sewing a pocket.
Notice her look of concentration. She's wasn't pleased with how it was looking. She said it "doesn't look right" so we had a chat (for the gazillionth time in her life) about how things take practice to get extra good at.
Next thing I know she had fished the seam ripper out of the sewing box and has pulled everything out. That is so my mom. My dear mother is a sewing perfectionist. She'll rip a seam at the drop of a hat. Ella must get this seam ripping perfectionist stuff from my mom 'cause she sure doesn't get it from me.
You know how people say, "What goes around, comes around." and "You end up raising yourself." when you have kids. None of my kids are like me as a kid. I'm not raising myself, I'm raising my mom (and possibly my husband).

5 comments:

Audra said...

That is absolutely true. And I am raising YOU in Miss Maddie Jane. Love the sewing lessons - Moses is really stoked about it too. He and Mads fight over the hoop. I need to get another one.

The Rich Family said...

She is such a cute little girl! She looks just like you, only she has blond hair and blue eyes.

Sam said...

Now, if we could only convince Ella that, when she leaves a room, she needs to flick the light switch on and off five times, and open and shut the door seven times.

Lindsay Blain said...

Hahaha. This is SOOO cute! haha. Sam, just because she likes to do things right does NOT make sweet Ella OCD. Okay? haha. I think it's SO sweet & makes me laugh.

Anonymous said...

A perfectionist at sewing and ripping out those unseemly seams. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT! Ella Pristine, I love you sweet thing.
Love, Mammaw