Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Birthday, My Sweet

Yes, I sometimes call Adam "my sweet" and occasionally "honey" and even "darlin'". My sweet , honey, darlin' had a birthday this week. An understated, "I'd rather forget about it" birthday but a birthday nonetheless. Birthdays are wonderful times to reflect and think cumulatively about someone. I don't think its too unusual that Adam is the person that can make me the happiest and the maddest. But overall, there is way more happy than mad. Thank heaven!
We went to breakfast on his birthday. Spending time, one on one, with Adam reminds me that we are still friends not just married people and parents. We genuinely enjoy each others company and have fun together. This, obviously, isn't a picture of breakfast rather one of us at Lake of the Ozarks, MO back in 2006. My mom watched the girls so we could get away for a few days before Joseph was born. Despite me being just a tad pregnant, we had a blast. It felt like a second honeymoon.
Adam is already the "fun dad". He's the roller coaster riding, rope swinging into the river dad every kids wishes for. Adam is on the left in the white polo making the goofy face.
Adam will forever be my favorite goof ball.
Making things cool, fun and memorable for the kids is a big deal for Adam. This train cake was all his idea and doing. Who's the cool dad who made a train cake for his son's birthday with three little "helpers"? Yep, that's Adam!
And he changes diapers. See, I have proof! I so much appreciate all the help Adam is to me with the kids and around the house.
Adam's wanted a motorcycle forever. His got sold while he was on "the mish" and I'm not sure he ever fully recovered (just kidding). Back in 2005 it worked out for him to get one. He was just a little bit excited. Just a little, mind you.
Anyway, the point is not that Adam rides around looking handsome on a motorcycle. The point is that when I was pregnant with Joseph, Adam (not me) decided that it probably wasn't overly wise for a father of three to ride a motorcycle around when a car was safer. And HE SOLD IT. That's right, out of sheer responsibility and grown up-ness he sold it. I didn't argue.
This is Adam after running the Provo River 1/2 marathon back in 2007. I've never run a 1/2 marathon, have you? He just decided, trained and did it, all by himself. I was awfully proud of him. And he's at it again, Adam came up with the idea to run a marathon for our 10th anniversary (coming up in May). I'm tagging along for the run this time, since its my anniversary too. Adam encourages me and reminds me to get my runs in while I don't have/need to say a word to him. He is on the ball.

I am thankful for my sweet husband, my sweet 33 year old husband. Yes, he's 33 now.
Adam is a wonderful husband that I am blessed to have for my own. Nobody's perfect all the time but he's working on it.

6 comments:

Audra said...

This post makes me very happy - love you Adam!

Krissi said...

Ahhh, you like your husband. What a cute post. I added your link. A marathon. Way to go can't wait to hear how it goes.

Meggan said...

We love Adam! Tell him Happy Birthday from all of us here in good ole St Louie!

Courtney said...

Fabulous post :) He sounds like a great dad and husband, which you totally deserve.
So, of course, you have tweaked my curiosity...which marathon? Naty and I are training for the Salt Lake Marathon. Anyways, I LOVE that you two are going to do that together. I've been begging Shaune for years (literally) to run one with me (he claims to want to do it--no proof yet). Let me know!! Oh, and Happy Birthday, Adam :)

The Rich Family said...

Happy late Birthday to Adam! You sound like a great daddy! And in case I have not said it recently, you guys have adorable kids!

Sam said...

Adam is hilarious... I will never forget his comic routine where he talks like a gay guy, pretends to be looking for his friend "Slippy", and everything is "fabulous" or "scrumptious".