Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sa-tur-day is a spe-cial day . . .

Quick! Name that song. If you got it you were obviously a regular in Primary circa 1985.
I seems like we don't sing that song anymore in Primary. Why not, I wonder?

Anyway, not the point of this post. The real point is that Saturday really was a special day for me. I spent most of Saturday with Angie at the "Successful Mothering Convention." I had so much fun with Angie and I learned/was reminded of a lot. We spent a good seven hours soaking up insights, advice and information about how to enjoy this journey called motherhood. As I get around to re-reading my notes I'll post interesting things I learned and cool facts I gleaned from the day.
Adam had worked a late shift the night before. As I left the house at about 9:45 am, I put a movie in for the kids, snuggled them in with blankets and told them that when the movie was over daddy would be ready to wake up so go jump on him.
Well, when the movie ended Ella decided to "let daddy sleep." Ella proceeded to be the mommy for the day. She "made" lunch for everyone, including me and Adam.
The kids played games and went peacefully about their day. Mind you that Adam was here the whole time, just asleep, much to his surprise. Adam was shocked to wake up to happily playing children and already made lunch, a bit later that day.

How sweet is our Ella is be so thoughtful of Adam and so responsible for her siblings. She continutes to amaze me with new grown up things she says and does.
Thank you, Angie, for inviting me to the convention.

After the convention Adam and I got to go out on a real live date. Vickie watched the kids so we could go to dinner (for Adam's birthday). Thank you.

It was so strange being away from the kids pretty much all day. I got an awfully warm reception when we picked them up at grandma's after our date. I got more hugs and kisses for the next 24 hours than I could count. You'd have thought they hadn't seem me in a year instead of just 12 hours. It was cute, funny and heart warming all once.

4 comments:

Krissi said...

Oh so jealous. Next time I want an invite, can a cous-n-law hang. Sounds like a great day. :) What a great girl you have. I loved when my kids started to get to that age it was like a present every time they acted big. Now my big one is 12 and well I will just stop with that.

Sharonda and Zaron said...

You have such great kids! Enjoy their kindness now because like Krissi said above, my oldest is 13 Need I explain further? Last I checked, 13 year olds and kindness can never be put together in the same sentence.

The conference sounded great! Every mom deserves a day like that every now and then.

KJA said...

That Ella is amazing. We miss her so much.
Have a great week!

Angie said...

Is that seriously the best picture you have of me?!!! I am dying!!! Thanks for going to the convention with me. I had tons of fun!!